KNX solutions can be used across an extremely wide range of building control and automation applications across all market segments including commercial and industrial. It is highly flexible and is typical for the system to be used for many different applications within one project.
Such applications include:
- Lighting Control
- Façade Automation – blinds, solar control, windows, natural ventilation
- Energy Metering and Management
- Security and Monitoring
- Audio-Visual Control and Interfacing
- Touch Screen and Visualisation Interfaces
- IP Connectivity and Remote Access
- Interfaces to many other third-party systems and protocols
The KNX Topology has no limit to the size and scale of the buildings in which it can be used. It is equally well suited to large scale commercial projects as to a residential building. KNX is extremely powerful when interfacing with other systems and protocols as there are many established gateways from a number of suppliers. These include OPC Servers, SCADA, BACnet, DALI and others.
In recent years there has been a growth in gateways from established manufacturer-based proprietary systems offering their own gateway for KNX. If considering such a solution, consideration should be given to whether the gateway has true KNX Certification and the benefits of working with a single manufacturer’s proprietary solution.